Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolution Week: Keep Calm and Carry On



Photo: evbjone, sfgirlbybay

This year, I am adding stress reduction to my list of New Year's resolutions. It's a learning process that sometimes just comes with age, but here a few things that I think will help speed along the process to keeping calm and carrying on.

1. MANTRA- Sometimes "breathe" or "slow down" works pretty well, but I am really liking the "keep calm and carry on" quote. Those red posters have seemingly surfaced everywhere as a tribute to nostalgic WWII British propaganda, but the message is clear and direct. I find it very useful.

2. QUIET YOUR MIND- Last year I bought "Quiet Mind: One Minute Retreats from a Busy World". This is my go-to book, for a quick dose of "the bigger picture". Each passage helps you reflect on one thought or action that will better your soul.

3. YOGA- I have been taking yoga at the Delaware House in Bayview, but there are lots of places in the city that offer Yoga.

4. LAUGHTER- I play the "30 Rock" DVDs while I workout, and sometimes I almost fall off the elliptical. My other comedic relief standbys?.....The Daily Show (episodes are available 24/7 on Comedy Central, David Sedaris books/NPR commentaries, and the weekly Onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails