Friday, October 29, 2010

Rx: Why Get a Swedish Massage


photo: angela weber


After putting those bookshelves together and getting ready for our Halloween Party tonight, my back and neck are acting all sorts of crazy. So, I scheduled a Swedish massage at Invivo. Why get a Swedish massage? I recently read a research study that was published last month that concluded there was a physiologic boost in immune responsiveness after one Swedish massage. I love how I feel after a good massage, but the deep pressure and smooth movements have a physiological benefit as well. Bring it, cold and flu season!


Mark Hyman Rapaport, Pamela Schettler, Catherine Bresee. A Preliminary Study of the Effects of a Single Session of Swedish Massage on Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal and Immune Function in Normal Individuals. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. October 2010, 16(10): 1079-1088.

Kevin D. Wilson. "Integrating Swedish Massage Therapy With Primary Health Care Initiatives As Part Of A Holistic Nursing Approach" Complementary Therapies in Medicine 14.4 (2006): 254-260.


New York Times article and recap of massage research.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that massage is very useful for body health. I need some tips for olive massage and I hope your website will be very helpful for me, thanks.
    leeds massage

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails