Saturday, May 15, 2010

Weekend: Flea market this Sunday


Country Living
,

The first Elkhorn Antique Flea Market of the season is this Sunday, May 16th. I have been crossing off the days dreaming of what I could find. I have learned that I can never go with a shopping list in hand. Every flea market is completely different and you never know what you'll find. I do collect some things but mostly I am looking for decorating. So, I look for 3 things when it comes to flea market decorating: 1.) Function 2.) Aesthetic and 3.) Quality. A lot of stuff you see at flea markets is neat but if you're not going to use it in your home, why get it? However, I think a lot of people are after the same stuff I am so always: get there early, carry cash, and bring a large bag.

Here are some great flea market finds to always keep an eye out for:


- Milk glass: it's making a comeback. White milky glass works well with a lot of different decors from eclectic to modern. Check out this candlestick grouping

- Metal bins: I own dozens of metal baskets, bins, and desk trays. They always come in handy and usually cost under $20.

- Fun Glass sets: Cheap sets of glass are nice for parties or when company is over. And if they break, who cares. Beer glasses work nice for watching the game or when the dudes have poker night.

- Letters and Numbers: As random as they seem, when they're put on a shelf with books and other collectibles they make perfect decorating sense. Try to choose letters or numbers that have a personal meaning.

- Odd Furniture: You would be extremley lucky to find a full set, but there are plenty of "orphan" pieces to be found at a flea market. These fit perfectly (after some paint and rehab) into hallways, corners, and small rooms.


I'll be back Monday to let you know what I bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails