Friday, January 13, 2012

{dinner and a movie} Star Wars + Spanish Chicken


image: Pick Yin blog


For Christmas I gave my husband the complete Star Wars saga on blu-ray. He was ecstatic, and I didn't get it. See, I have never really watched Star Wars. And what I think I may have seen might have just been a misunderstanding between what is Star Wars and Star Trek. I know, major faux pas.
We used our new cast iron skillet to make Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes before sitting down and watching the first Star Wars aptly named Episode IV.

Here's a 28 year old girl's commentary on Star Wars having never seen it before: This was made in 1977? These special effects are amazing. Princess Leia has an attitude - I don't like her. What's so awful about the galactic empire? I'd rather be on their nice ship than that hunk-of-junk Millennium Falcon. Who's the green dude and where did he come from? Doesn't this movie seems like a metaphor for socially awkward boys' strained relationships with their fathers?

It was obvious I went into 'random question overload' when my husband started replying with a disengaged "yeah" and an eye roll. The plot is confusing and often hurried and I don't speak wookie, so half the conversations were lost on me. I can appreciate Star Wars for being revolutionary for its time, its message on doing good, but the fandemonium and conventions I just can't relate to. Maybe I just need to watch it a few more times.

As for the dinner, there were no rambling and confused questions with that. The recipe is a take on Nigella Lawson's original recipe for Spanish Chicken, Chorizo and Potatoes. The hubs did it all on the stovetop in about 40 minutes. High-five for husbands.

Nigella's Spanish Chicken, Chorizo and Potatoes

INGREDIENTS

2 x 15ml (2 x 1 Tbsp) tablespoons regular olive oil
12 chicken thighs (bone in, with skin)
750g (1 1/2 lb) chorizo sausages, whole if baby ones, or cut into 4cm chunks if regular-sized
1kg (2 lb) new potatoes, halved
2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
grated zest 1 orange

METHOD Serves: 6

Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7 (450F) . Put the oil in the bottom of 2 shallow roasting tins, 1 tablespoon in each. Rub the skin of the chicken in the oil, then turn skin-side up, 6 pieces in each tin.
Divide the chorizo sausages and the new potatoes between the 2 tins. Sprinkle the onion and the oregano over, then grate the orange zest over the contents of the 2 tins.
Cook for 1 hour, but after 30 minutes, swap the top tray with the bottom tray in the oven and baste the contents with the orange-coloured juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails